Re:Notes on first-time building

From: Kenneth J.Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 10:45:10 EDT

    Andrew Dunbar <hippietrail@yahoo.com> wrote on 9/26/2002 1:28:10 AM:
    ..
    >First I looked for nightly source tarballs.
    >http://www.abisource.com/developers/download.phtml
    >Has a heading "Nightly source" but it's actually for
    >nightly builds.

    It used to point to nightly source, and if the link
    to my site is updated (formally on www.darklogic.org now
    on a dedicated site abiword.pchasm.org) then it could
    still be considered refering to nightly source. :-)

    >I found and downloaded nightly source tarballs here:
    >http://abiword.pchasm.org/source/
    >
    >It's a handy site Jeremy but at least in the separate
    >tarballs some things are missing. Most important is
    >fribidi. But there are also other sections in CVS

    I forgot to add it, but it is there now. I suppose
    no one has needed this before? as I try to make changes
    as I notice them or people point out the need to me.

    >which don't have tarballs here. I didn't check the

    Which ones? all the Windows ones [except previously
    fribidi] required to build AbiWord.exe should be there.
    I can add others.

    >all-in-one tarball. You might want to check this out

    I think my site isn't very clear, all the cvs modules
    are only available separately (due partially to original
    file size limits and still so only necessary modules need
    to be updated). The link just points to the directory
    with the tarballs, at one point the index page only
    listed the abi module, so you had to go there for the
    rest of them, but I think I include them all in the list
    now.

    >and bring it up to date.

    Let me know of any other modules to add (excluding abispell
    or any other really big ones). I also added brief build overview
    doc containing some of my own notes with improvements (especially
    for the Unix side) updated [ok replaced/taken] from Dom's document.
    http://abiword.pchasm.org/abiword/source/docs/abi2build.html

    ..

    >Windows:
    >Is the new mingw32 build documented somewhere?
    >What do I need for this build? How is it related to
    >cygwin?

    Don't know, haven't used and don't plan on it.
    I have too many compilers installed as it is to add another.
    Though at some point I would like to add OpenWatcom to
    the supported list of compilers (but that is more of a wish
    list item and not even on my todo list yet).

    >I seem to recall there being project and/or workspace
    >files for Visual Studio. Did I imagine this, have
    >they been removed, or where can I find them?
    >Can we even currently build AbiWord within Visual

    Yes, this is the optional MSVC module. I personally
    never use these (they can only be used by MSVC 6,
    and perhaps imported into MSVC 7). If you get them
    from my site, you will need to convert the \n to \r\n
    or MSVC will not properly load them. Other more
    active Windows developers do use these I think.

    >Studio? Is the cygwin + Visual C++ compiler still
    >the usual way to build under Windows or has the
    >mingw32
    >way replaced it?

    Not yet. The official builds are still done using
    cygwin tools + MSVC but that may change in the future.

    >Does autogen + configure work for cygwin at all?
    ..
    I tried once I think, but it didn't work, but that
    was a while ago, so it may work now.

    >make clean; make realclean; make - without using
    >autogen and configure starts to work usign the VC++
    >compiler but ends this way:

    You should be able to go straight to make on Windows.

    >make : zlib : Cannot open compiler generated file
    >C:\src\WIN32_1.3.12_i386_OBJ\zlib\adler32.obj

    Try deleting any .crashed files and .cache (or whatever
    configure creates) and retrying. Usually this solves
    the odd compile problems on Windows. Also make sure
    you are using the latest cygwin tools, and stay with the
    one you find works, as the AbiWord build is a fair
    stress test for cygwin tools and any instability will
    result in failed builds (I found this out the first
    time I tried to build AbiWord, I had to to try 3 or more
    versions of cygwin to get one that was stable on my
    computer, Note: since then cygwin has improved).

    ..
    >Also if anybody has some tips on trying to hack
    >AbiWord
    >and keep somewhat up-to-date with CVS without an
    >internet conneciton on my machine, I'd really
    >appreciate it!

    Working on AbiWord without being able to do a cvs update
    just isn't as much fun;-) I never could get my network
    card to work under QNX so I could play with AbiWord there.

    >Andrew Dunbar.

    Jeremy