RFC: keyboard bindings for bidi direction markers

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 18:25:22 EDT

    In order to provide bidi users with an easy way to override the
    Unicode bidi algorithm (and to fix bug 2742), I am going to implement
    support for the Unicode direction markers (LRM and RLM), and I need
    intuitive keyboard bindings for inserting these. I have had a look
    through the currently available bindings, and would like to use Alt+>
    and Alt+< to insert LRM and RLM respectively.

    I want to use the '<' and '>' characters because (a) they will
    intuitive, and (b) I need keys that will be available on most
    keyboards (Arabic, Hebrew, etc.), and since these are basic
    mathematical symbols I expect this should be the case.

    I want to use the Alt prefix because although we do not use Ctrl+</>
    for anything at the moment, in Word these are used to
    increase/decrease current font size, and I suspect one day someone
    might want to implement this (I find it quite handy).

    Now that you know my reasoning, if you have any objections to these
    particular bindings, or better suggestions, please let me know.

    Tomas