Re: Will OASIS/XML format be supported?

From: ericzen (ericzen@ez-net.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 14:33:28 EDT

    On 2003.04.13 12:40 M. Fioretti wrote:

    > Just to make my original question clearer: my main interest is not
    > exactly to know if there are import/export filters and their status,
    > but if there is the plan/will to make of that format the default one
    > in which AbiWord creates/edits/saves its document, *without* filtering
    > or explicit user request.

    The option will be present to save any document by default to the OASIS format; however, the more simple and very compact abiword native XML format will be developed and kept as the default unless you change that over like to the OASIS format.

    > Filters are good, but between Free/OS applications they shouldn't
    > exist in the first place, should they?

    Filters, in this context, does NOT mean "censorship." Here, filters means "to sort."

    Filters match data to the piecetable (the part of the programme that organizes the information for the purposes of making it a displayable document). Every major programme uses them, even for their native format; it's part of having a piecetable.

    Dave