Re: Will OASIS/XML format be supported?

From: M. Fioretti (m.fioretti@inwind.it)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 17:14:18 EDT

    On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 12:27:31 at 12:27:31PM -0700, Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com) wrote:

    > We're remarkably unlikely to ever make the SXW format
    > the default one. If we were to change, it would make
    > much more sense for us to make DOC/RTF the default
    > one, quite honestly.
    Interesting. May I ask you why? Do they match better the internal data
    representation?

    > However, it's possible for users
    > to make any file format the default one via editing a
    > single line in their preferences schema.
    That's what matters, thanks.
    [snip]
    > equal. Only one of them will/can ever be perfect at
    > serializing/deserializing the AbiWord Piece Table, and
    > that is the ABW filter. And perfection is something
    > that should be strived for. Dataloss is simply
    > unacceptable.

    This goes without saying, but also prompts me to ask what you mean by
    data loss: formatting or structure? And would it happen because, in
    some way, the OASIS format is less advanced than ABW's or why?

    Thanks again to you all for your time and patience.

              Marco Fioretti

    --
    Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

    None can love freedom heartily but good men; the rest love not freedom but license. John Milton