Re: Will OASIS/XML format be supported?

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 17:59:35 EDT

    > > We're remarkably unlikely to ever make the SXW
    > format
    > > the default one. If we were to change, it would
    > make
    > > much more sense for us to make DOC/RTF the default
    > > one, quite honestly.
    > Interesting. May I ask you why? Do they match better
    > the internal data
    > representation?

    RTF matches our internal data representation much
    better, and our file filters for RTF are much more
    advanced than our Oasis ones (we use RTF for cut+paste
    with the clipboard, and this needs to be flawless).

    But besides that, maybe 1-2 million people use
    OpenOffice on any sort of regular basis. Maybe 1-2
    billion people use Microsoft Word. And those MSWord
    users can't possibly import Oasis documents, nor is
    Microsoft likely to add such functionality.
    OpenOffice, however, is quite good at reading DOC and
    RTF files. So if we use DOC or RTF as our default
    format, all of the OpenOffice and MS Office people
    could read our documents.

    One of our aims is to inter-operate seamlessly with
    the other software on the market. So if we wanted to
    change the default file format, we'd *probably* choose
    one that everyone already uses. But we have no
    ambition of changing our default file format. It's
    already user-configurable, and that's about as far as
    I'm willing to go.

    > This goes without saying, but also prompts me to ask
    > what you mean by
    > data loss: formatting or structure? And would it
    > happen because, in
    > some way, the OASIS format is less advanced than
    > ABW's or why?

    Well, we have finite amounts of time and ambition.
    There are bound to be flaws in our conversion to/from
    any file format that is != our native ABW format. Plus
    some of our features don't map cleanly (or at all) to
    the Oasis specification (or any other SPEC, for that
    matter). The same thing goes for OpenOffice - whenver
    you save something in DOC/RTF and then close, it pops
    up an annoying dialog saying something similar to
    "saving in anything but the SXW format can cause
    dataloss. do you want to exit anyway?" We don't want
    to make that our *default* case.

    > Thanks again to you all for your time and patience.

    Not a problem.

    Cheers,