Re: For mingw developers ...[Fwd: Win32 GNOME 2 Patches]

From: msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 17:38:34 EDT

    > Hi,
    > mpuea> To our mingw developers,
    > mpuea> I saw this email on a gnome mailing lista little
    > while ago. mpuea> I was wondering if any of you intrepid hackers could
    > take up the challenge mpuea> to build Gunmeric (a really good
    > Spreadsheet based on Gnome technologies) mpuea> on Windows.
    >
    > mpuea> There are also projects that enable GTK2 based programs to look
    > like mpuea> native Windows XP applications.
    >
    > mpuea> If we can get Gnumeric compiled on Windows we a huge step closer
    > to having mpuea> an Office Suite on Windows.
    >
    > mpuea> Cheers :-)
    > As far as I know, Gnumeric uses GTK as window system. GTK has port to
    > windows, so plain compiling it on MinGW shouldn't be too difficult (but
    > rather laborious ;-), IMHO. If one need to re-implement
    > everything using native controls (as AbiWord does) it's titanic job.

    You're right Sinitsyn. The idea is to use the Windows port of GTK 2 (plus
    the assosciated GNOME 2 libraries). Re-writing Gnumeric to fit into the
    AbiWord framework is way too much work.

    Until this post I thought using even the Windows port of Gtk 2 would be
    too hard because of Gnumeric dependencies of Gnome.

    However given that Gnome is reported to have been ported, I guess that
    Gnumeric itself could be ported too.