Re: state of bidi

From: Stephen Viles (sviles_abi@iinet.net.au)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 18:35:48 EDT

    30/04/03 5:29:38 AM, "Tomas Frydrych" <tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net> wrote:

    >This is to bring everyone up to speed on the bidi functionality
    >
    >A. STABLE
    >Bidi in stable is badly broken (has been since 1.0.3; my fault
    >entirely), and I have no intention of fixing it; the bidi code is too
    >different from that used in HEAD and I simply do not have the time
    >for this (in addition, the bidi functionality was never working well
    >enough in STABLE for it to be broadly usable). Consequently, I will
    >change status of all bidi bugs filed against stable to 'wont fix'
    >asking the reporters to use HEAD instead. A note to this effect
    >should be added to the download page, which should contain links to
    >the precompiled win32 daily snapshots of HEAD.

    Bug 4183 (squares at ends of lines containing tabs) affects all STABLE
    bidi versions, regardless of which language you use. Several users have
    reported this as a regression since upgrading to 1.0.3 or later.

    An official non-bidi 1.0.5 Win32 build was placed on SourceForge at
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/abiword/setup_abiword.1-0-5.exe
    However, there is no link to this build from the download page.

    If the bidi version on the download page is to be changed, I think
    it would also be a good idea to include a link to the non-bidi version.

    Regards
    Stephen Viles.