Re: POLICY: all patches go to the list

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Aug 31 2003 - 23:23:33 EDT

--- Marc Maurer <j.m.maurer@student.utwente.nl> wrote:
> > For the record, Martin fixed this bug. I don't get
> > horizontal ruler at all, and that's how it should
> be
> > :)
>
> why should I _not_ want to have a ruler? i think you
> are messing some
> issues up here :)

No, I'm really not.

In any application, there is no reason to have a
horizontal or vertical scrollbar present when you
cannot scroll in that direction. Scrollbar presence
should be automatic. If you're in "Fit to Width" mode,
you can't ever scroll horizontally. It is impossible.
So why should there be toolbars present? It'd just
take up useful screen real-estate.

Not only does removing the scrollbars here work-around
a major bug, but not having them is conceptually
correct and preferable to their being there.