Re: commit: New AbiCommand feature - converttotext

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 10:08:28 EST

    > Just out of curiousity, why do we need this, since we
    > already have:
    >
    > AbiWord --to=format file.doc?

    Hi Dom,
           Two reasons.

    So we don't have the overhead of restarting Abiword while feeding 1000's
    of docs to it.

    Secondly apparently mono sucks at handling shell commands.

    Overall running AbiWord as a server is a much faster solution for bulk
    processing of many documents.

    I told the dashboard people about the --to=format commandline option and
    they asked me to turn abiword into a lib. I thought running abiword as a
    server was a better option and much easier to implement.