Warning that there are revisions in a document? (was: Re: some explanations about revisions and related stuff)

From: Omer Zak (omerz_at_actcom.co.il)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 09:19:01 EST

    Is it possible to display a warning that a document contains revisions?

    Possibilities:

    1. In the titlebar of the window (together with the asterisk marking
       whether the document has unsaved changes), display colored squares, one
       color for each existing revision coloring.

    2. Message in the Save/Save-as dialogs. A friendly way to display this
       is in the form of radiobutton options - "Save with revision
       information"/"Save without revision information", with default value
       being the document's current status of revision information.

       Those options will be hidden unless and until the user turned on the
       revision feature.

    3. Confirmation dialog if you want to Save-as with revision information
       (I don't like this alternative). The assumption is that Save wants to
       save all document's information; and that Save-as will be used to
       create a revisionless copy for distribution.

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003, Tomas Frydrych wrote:

    > Revisions
    > ------------
    [... snipped ...]
    > Onedown side of using revisions is that you could potentially
    > distribute an electronic version of a doc with the revision
    > information in it when you do not want to, particularly when the
    > revisions are collapsed. There is no fool proof way around that,and
    > my feeling is that if you use revisions then it is your
    > responsibility to check there are none left you do not want them to
    > be (revisions never sneak into the document, you have to create
    > them).

                                                 --- Omer
    I may be affiliated in any way.