Re: Warning that there are revisions in a document? (was: Re: some explanations about revisions and related stuff)

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas_at_frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 15:41:59 EST

    Hi Omer,

    > Is it possible to display a warning that a document contains revisions?
    >
    > Possibilities:
    >
    > 1. In the titlebar of the window (together with the asterisk marking
    > whether the document has unsaved changes), display colored squares, one
    > color for each existing revision coloring.

    We could add something to the title bar, probably just '[revised]'
    would do; I like this suggestion.

    > 2. Message in the Save/Save-as dialogs. A friendly way to display this
    > is in the form of radiobutton options - "Save with revision
    > information"/"Save without revision information", with default value
    > being the document's current status of revision information.

    I do not like this very much. Revisions cannot just be removed, they
    have to be either accepted or rejected by the user.

    I added warning on opening a document if that document contains
    revisions and the other document settings are such that those
    revisions will not be marked on screen in the usual way. The same
    dialogue could be displayed on save in the same conditions.

    > Those options will be hidden unless and until the user turned on the
    > revision feature.
    >
    > 3. Confirmation dialog if you want to Save-as with revision information
    > (I don't like this alternative). The assumption is that Save wants to
    > save all document's information; and that Save-as will be used to
    > create a revisionless copy for distribution.

    I do not like this much either.

    Tomas