Re: Helping with Indic [Re: AbiWord-2.1.0 Released!]

From: msevior_at_physics.unimelb.edu.au
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 06:44:32 EST

    Hi Ramanan,
               I was hoping Tomas would reply since he is th expert in complex
    text support. But I think he is on holidays now.

    We could really use help in two areas.

    The first is straight forward. Translations of our our strings into Indic
    Languages. This should be straight forward an English/Indic speaker. You
    simply need to edit the *.po files and put in the translated UTF-8 codes.

    The second place we need help is much harder.

    Indic texts do not have a simple relationship between glyph size and
    position. In English, every character has it's own width and are placed
    one after each other seperated by spaces. (Of Course!)

    As I understand it, this is not the case for many Indic languages. For
    them where gplyphs are placed bepends on context of the word being
    constructed. In many cases individual glyphs are over-written and combined
    to make the correct glyph.

    Now abiword has the infrastructure to to do this "glyph shaping". Tomas
    has worked extensively on it for some time. The class that handles this is
    "UT_contextGlyph.(h,cpp)".

    Now every language is different. The many different Indic languages all
    have their needs for glyph shaping. We really don't have the resources to
    solve the problem for all languages ourselves. We can help people hackers.
    Provide resources, provides a good platform them to work on, but all the
    knowledge of how these glyphs are combined requires a hacker who can speak
    and read the language we supporting.

    If you know people who speak Tamil and who would like a free word
    processor that does a good job on their language, please direct them to
    us! We really won't be able to support complex languages with their help.

    As to why we're not in gnome-cvs. Alan has already mostly answered that
    question. In addition to his answers, we have a much nicer development
    environment by running our own servers. We can ssh into the machine and
    tweak things to our hearts content. We can easily maintain our own webpage
    etc, etc.

    pango is really designed for GUI elements. It not suitable for all the
    demands of a WYSIWYG Word Processor.

    I hope this answers your questions and I haven't got something very wrong.
    We would all love to see Indic language support. I hope we can at least
    get Tamil translation for our strings.