Re: GNOME HIG and libglade2

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 10:37:18 EST

    > RC files do not add an additional dependancy at
    > runtime. The resources
    > are compiled into the executable. If I understand
    > how libglade2 works,
    > you use glade as a GUI widget designer, you pass the
    > glade design or
    > libglade2 during runtime which then returns gtk2
    > widgets for the
    > screen. The end result is an extra step compared to
    > what we do now.

    Glade is a runtime dependency, but this (or the
    intermediate step required) isn't necessarily a bad
    thing.

    > libglade2 does not make us more HIG-compliant.
    > libglade2 just makes it
    > easier for coders to maintain dialog changes
    > overtime. Again, if I
    > understand things correct, this is just giving a
    > nice GUI interface for
    > subsequent edits of dialogs.

    Nor did I say that it makes us more HIG compliant. It
    allows us to make more HIG complaint dialogs because
    it makes the process of creating dialogs (and
    subsequently editing and revising them) a trivial
    process, and a process that can easily be done by
    non-coders. It is essentially a RAD/XP tool.

    For example, hammers don't build better houses. But
    they sure do hammer nails a lot better and straighter
    than screwdriver handles, helping you build a better
    house more easily and faster. Slamming in nails with
    screwdrivers would be quickly pointed-out as the wrong
    tool for the job. The hammer dependency is a welcome
    one to the contractor.

    Granted, this analogy doesn't hold 100% (the homeowner
    doesn't need to have a hammer with him in order to
    live in the house) but software construction and
    ownership don't have an exact parallel to their
    physical counterparts.

    > I suppose if it is always installed by everybody and
    > always the right
    > version and a simple trade-off to be more polished,
    > it will be added to
    > our growing list of dependancies for Linux builds.

    Hasn't the dependency list shrunk since Abi 1.0?

    -psiconv gtk1.2
    +gtk2.0

    (optionally -unixfonts +xft2, but, damnit, you're
    using a word processor, you should care about how
    fonts look and print)