Re: GNOME HIG and libglade2

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 10:20:20 EST

    > > ... Further, it is a standard library installed
    > > by every Linux distribution.
    >
    > This is not an advantage. This is a liability - see
    > below.

    > Not a bloat, but a contribution to dependency hell.
    > What happens if the installed libglade2 version is
    > incompatible with what
    > AbiWord needs?
    > What happens in other platforms such as *BSD or QNX?

    No, it isn't. At some point your software needs
    dependencies in order to become useful, or in order
    for you to get your job done in a cleaner and more
    efficient manner.

    Unix uses library versioning and parallel-installable
    libraries, and currently Gnome is working with API and
    ABI freeze techniques. This means that every new
    libglade2 library will be backwards API and ABI
    compatbile. Tools like pkg-config, rpm, apt,
    configure, etc... will ensure that the proper library
    gets used 100% of the time. Considering that libglade
    is essentially 2 external API calls and a pointer, I
    can promise you that DLL hell won't happen because of
    this library.