Re: GNOME HIG and libglade2

From: Johan Björk (phearbear@home.se)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 08:56:50 EST

    Michael D. Pritchett wrote:

    >On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    >

    >>>I also tend not to want more library dependencies.
    >>>What about adding this stuff only for the Gnome
    >>>build?
    >>>

    >>This defeats the proposed purposes for using glade.
    >>
    >>Win32 has RC files to aide in the creation and storage
    >>of dialogs, created by DevC.
    >>

    >RC files do not add an additional dependancy at runtime. The resources
    >are compiled into the executable. If I understand how libglade2 works,
    >you use glade as a GUI widget designer, you pass the glade design or
    >libglade2 during runtime which then returns gtk2 widgets for the
    >screen. The end result is an extra step compared to what we do now.
    >

    >>Cocoa has NIB files to aide in the creation and
    >>storage of dialogs, created by InterfaceBuilder.
    >>

    >I have no idea if NIB files require something additional at runtime to
    >make widgets. I suppose it could be exactly like libglade2.
    >

    >>I see no difference in using glade on the unix
    >>platforms. Further, it is a standard library installed
    >>by every Linux distribution.
    >>
    >>Ideally, using glade will enable us to make prettier,
    >>more user-friendly HIG-complaint dialogs with less
    >>fuss and more quickly. If this comes at the expense of
    >>some user not knowing that his AbiWord is linked
    >>against libglade (coz in all likelihood it's already
    >>installed) then so be it. It's a trade-off that I'm
    >>more than willing and eager to make in order that our
    >>product comes off looking more polished and friendly
    >>with (potentially significantly) less effort.
    >>

    >libglade2 does not make us more HIG-compliant. libglade2 just makes it
    >easier for coders to maintain dialog changes overtime. Again, if I
    >understand things correct, this is just giving a nice GUI interface for
    >subsequent edits of dialogs.
    >
    >I suppose if it is always installed by everybody and always the right
    >version and a simple trade-off to be more polished, it will be added to
    >our growing list of dependancies for Linux builds.
    >

    >>Adding a 100k library dependancy for these purposes
    >>should not be construed as bloat.
    >>
    >>Dom
    >>

    >Bloat may not be right term. My apologies if isn't.
    >
    >As requested initially, I still voice my objection. I have not be
    >convinced of the NEED for libglade2 dependancy.
    >
    >Cheers!
    >

    >Michael D. Pritchett

    This discussion came in handy and nice.
    I've been doing a bit like unix does now on the QNX dialogs, use the ui
    builder to generate the code then modify it by hand.
    as Marc said, this sucks, and I stopped doing it quite fast, It was a
    horror to maintain.
    Using the QNX ui Builder would be really nice, It works about the same
    as glade i'd say, as it requires an additional lib, but it's installed
    by default so it shouldn't matter.

    /Johan