Re: GNOME HIG and libglade2

From: Omer Zak (omerz@actcom.co.il)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2003 - 01:29:12 EST

    In general, I am in favor of using libglade2, as it does not add much to
    the product's footprint, and the advantages were eloquently explained.

    However...

    On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

    > ... Further, it is a standard library installed
    > by every Linux distribution.

    This is not an advantage. This is a liability - see below.

    > Adding a 100k library dependancy for these purposes
    > should not be construed as bloat.

    Not a bloat, but a contribution to dependency hell.
    What happens if the installed libglade2 version is incompatible with what
    AbiWord needs?
    What happens in other platforms such as *BSD or QNX?

    It may be feasible to create builds of AbiWord with libglade2 statically
    linked to the executable. But won't this proliferate the number of
    builds, as the need (or desirability) to use more libraries is identified?
                                                 --- Omer
    I may be affiliated in any way.