Re: GNOME HIG and libglade2

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 19:01:56 EST

    > I also tend not to want more library dependencies.
    > What about adding this stuff only for the Gnome
    > build?

    This defeats the proposed purposes for using glade.

    Win32 has RC files to aide in the creation and storage
    of dialogs, created by DevC.

    Cocoa has NIB files to aide in the creation and
    storage of dialogs, created by InterfaceBuilder.

    I see no difference in using glade on the unix
    platforms. Further, it is a standard library installed
    by every Linux distribution.

    Ideally, using glade will enable us to make prettier,
    more user-friendly HIG-complaint dialogs with less
    fuss and more quickly. If this comes at the expense of
    some user not knowing that his AbiWord is linked
    against libglade (coz in all likelihood it's already
    installed) then so be it. It's a trade-off that I'm
    more than willing and eager to make in order that our
    product comes off looking more polished and friendly
    with (potentially significantly) less effort.

    Adding a 100k library dependancy for these purposes
    should not be construed as bloat.