Re: Question -- installation methods

From: Kenneth J. Davis (jeremyd@computer.org)
Date: Fri Feb 14 2003 - 08:48:27 EST

    On 14 Feb 2003 04:21:20 -0600 sam th <sam@uchicago.edu> wrote:

    st> I'm in the process of killing AbiWord's wrapper script. However, the
    st> wrapper script is used and/or referenced all over the diving make
    st> system. So, before I can rip things out, I need to know what people
    st> are
    st> using. All these questions only apply on Unixy systems.
    st>
    st> 1. Is anyone using the diving make system to create tgz packages?
    st> This
    st> would involve syntax something like
    st>
    st> $ make install ABI_DIST_TARGET=tgz
    st>
    st> or something similar.

    I have in the past, and intend to again.

    st>
    st> 2. Is anyone using the diving make system to create any packages? How
    st> do the rpm/deb/etc packages get made?

    not at present, but plan on adding nightly slack packages
    when I get around to it (meaning could be next week or
    could be years from now)

    st>
    st> 3. If the answer to one of the above is yes,
    st>
    st> a) could you switch to the autoconfiscated system?, or

    I could, but rather not (plain makefiles are easier for
    me to understand what's going on)

    st>
    st> b) do you understand the diving make packaging system?

    I understand much of the diving make system, but haven't
    looked into this aspect, though I keep meaning to.

    st>
    st> I used to understand this stuff, and helped write parts of it, but now
    st> I
    st> just want it to go away. If you want to keep it, please respond soon.
    st>

    yes I want to keep it, but if it needs to go, it needs to go...
    (The diving make system in general does need a good cleanup)

    Jeremy