Bidi on AW 1.1.3 (fwd)

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Feb 24 2003 - 08:35:07 EST

    Forwared from user-list

    Martin

    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:19:34 +0200 (IST)
    From: Uri Elias <elias@techunix.technion.ac.il>
    To: abiword-user@abisource.com
    Subject: Bidi on AW 1.1.3

    A summary of my experience with BIDI with abiword-1.1.3-1.i386.rpm
    installed on RedHat 8.0 (Gnome 2). (Submitted as Bug 4632)

    This version has some bidi troubles that the were already solved in
    older versions.
    I choose a hebrew keyboard with xmodmap, choose a font (arial), click
    the "right allignment" button and start typing from right to left.
    Let A, B, C, ... stand for hebrew letters. Some examples of what happens:

    1. Type ABC followed by <space>. After you hit the <space>, the cursor
    jumps to the RIGHT end of line and it returns to its correct place after
    you hit another character. This irritates but is still tolerable.

    2. Suppose you end a sentence by any of ?!.:; etc. The ? jumps to the
    right end of the line and stays there untill you continue the line.
    Only then the ? jumps to its correct place. However, if you terminate now
    the line by <enter> and start a new line, the ? remains in its wrong place.
    That is, instead
                                         ?FED CBA <---
    one gets
                                         FED CBA? <---
    and I find no way to move the ? to its correct place at the left end of
    the line.

    3. Home and End. "Home" takes the cursor to the right edge of the
    rightmost character (that is good). "End" takes the cursor slightly more
    right than the right margin, instead of the left end of the line.

    4. The behaviour of "(" and ")" .
    Type consecutively the chars (in this order): ) A B (
    I expect to get (from right to left)
                              (BA)
    but I get
                              )BA(
    When I click the keys ) A B ( <sp> C D , I expect to get rtl
                     DC (BA)
    But I get
                     )DC (BA
    which is completely wrong.

    5. If one types hebrew A B C and then latin a b c, I expect to get
                   abc CBA
    but get
                   CBA abc

    6. While I type hebrew, there is a "kind of cursor" at the correct place,
    its reflected image at the right end of the line, they are connected by
    and underline and all this construction is blinking. For what is this good?

    7. All these things happen also if I add
    LANG=he_IL.ISO-8859-8
    export LANG

    All these phenomena are observed also in the mailcomposer of Mozilla,
    so probably they are related to the bidi algorithms of Gnome.

    Uri Elias