Re: Commit: Selection Preserving class

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 03:03:50 EST

    On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 17:34, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > Class whose sole purpose is to save and restore a
    > selection. I hope to use this in many bugzilla bugs
    > where something we do causes the selection to be lost,
    > or gained by something else and then later lost.
    >
    > There are a bunch of cases where this might not
    > perform perfectly as-coded (consider the size of a
    > selected word changed during a spell check replace
    > operation), but it should definitely perform better
    > than our current behavior.

    Hi Dom,
            I have been thinking about selections in a different context.
    In particular the need to selections from many segments of the
    piecetable. This is most for copying and pasting cell selections in
    tables but might be relevant in other case (maybe allowing rectangular
    selections of text.)

    So to this I'll need some sort of vector holding selections. So should
    the vector be internal to this class or should the be a vector of these
    classes?

    I'm inclined to the latter. If we do the latter we'll need to pass
    another parameter to constructor which would be the selection number.

    Or maybe find another way to do this or even punt doing multiple cell
    selections from the 2.0 feature list.

    That would mean we couldn't copy and paste table columns in 2.0. I
    estimate doing copy and paste of table selections will take about 2 of
    my "typical" weeks.

    PS. We still have to do split cells too but that is straight forward and
    mostly needs someone to design a good GUI.