Re: commit: NSIS2 initial multiple language support in installer

From: Jordi Mas (jmas@softcatala.org)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 12:32:14 EST

    Hola Kenneth!

    > It is disabled by default until I get a chance to add modern UI stuff to
    > NSIS2 in our cvs. You can test this by commenting the !define CLASSIC_UI
    > at the top and compiling with a locally installed NSIS2.
    > Presently, a little over a dozen languages are supportted by NSIS, so
    > the various installer generic parts (Next, Back, ...) are translated
    > but the AbiWord specific parts are of course still in English
    > (AbiWord, Shortcuts, ...). Should the translatable parts be seperated
    > into languages specific files that are included (and if so what should
    > I name them, note NSIS uses full words, e.g. English, French, Spanish,...
    > to specify a language) or as they presently are, together within the
    > AbiWord2.nsi source? I'll probably split them off so should someone
    > get around to translating them it will be easier (the catch is whenever
    > a new string is added it must be added to a bunch of new files instead
    > of just editing one file -- unless someone else is aware how to get
    > NSIS to use a fallback language?).

    This is very good news for non-English speakers of Abiword under Win32, and
    also good news for the rest of Windows uses Kenneth.

    Here some thoughts.

    1) I think that we should keep different files for every language, as we
    already do for Abi itself. I did produce a full localised win32 build of
    Abiword 1.02 into Catalan a few months back and I remember that the
    installation had under 30 strings to localise, I mean it's not much work.

    2) One way to approach the install win32 localisation is to keep the strings
    in the Abiword XML string files (xx-xx.strings) and write a script that
    extracts the installation strings for every language for that file and creates
    the file specific for installation. That will keep all the translations in one
    SINGLE place, that I think it's very positive, if you think of leverage,
    mantenaince, and so on.

    3) If NSIS2 allows us to do this I think that we should keep sync the same
    languages in the installation that the ones that currently Abi supports. I
    think that we should write a script to parse XAP_LangInfo
    XAP_EncodingManager::langinfo[] from xap_EncodingManager.cpp and create the
    list of languages for NSIS2. If you want, the script can also checks if we
    have a xx-xx.strings file for that language, if there is not we do not show
    that language and an option because it's not really there. We keep both list
    in sync I think has to be done.

    4) Abiword under win32 when it's started by the first time it selects the
    default locale querying Windows which is the current user's locale. Image that
    an user selects Occitan as a language in the Abiword installation process and
    his/her Windows locale is English. The installation would be in Occitan and
    then Abiword will show up in English. That's not what we want. We also support
    some languages that Windows does not have a locale for, much better if there
    are selected during the installation. We should tell abiword which language
    the users has selected during the install process.

    Here my five cents!

    --

    Jordi Mas http://www.softcatala.org