Re: [Fwd: Re: equations] Luca Padovani <lpadovan@cs.unibo.it>

From: Luca Padovani (lpadovan@cs.unibo.it)
Date: Mon Jan 13 2003 - 15:17:10 EST

    On Mon, 2003-01-13 at 19:15, Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:
    > Though, I hope equations will be integrated at text level instead of as
    > a component. This is what is done in LyX, and it does make a difference
    > if you write physics reports etc.

    I'm not familiar with LyX so I'm not sure what you mean with
    "integration at text level". What I guess is that you wish equation
    editing to be smoothly integrated with the surrounding text/paragraphs
    to the point that the user doesn't actually realize math is handled by a
    separate component. If my guess is correct well, it is exactly what I'd
    aim at, although I still have some hope that with a proper interface the
    component can be kept reasonably separated from the main application,
    without merging all together in one single blob (see mozilla's layout
    engine).

    My point of view is that this kind of fine-grained integration is
    interesting "per se", especially because I see very few examples of this
    turned into practice (then the question is, is it really doable? ;-) ).
    It is also a very reasonable modularization effort: MathML today, SVG
    tomorrow, another kind of object the next month and the application will
    grow in size and complexity (again see mozilla) with the disadvantages
    we all know.

    -- Luca