LANG Problem 1.0.3

From: Nikolai Vladychevski (niko@isl.net.mx)
Date: Tue Jan 14 2003 - 05:47:43 EST

    Hello,

    I have installed abiword well on the redhat8 from sources, it works with
    spanish language (es_ES) fine.

    After that I started to create a minifilesystem (for some linux-embedded
    solution), with all the necesary libraries, to put AbiWord on it. I did it
    and AbiWord worked ok after a chroot() to that filesystem. After that I
    started to work with gnumeric, to put it on the minifilesystem too and it
    also worked fine. But when I ran AbiWord after that, it displayed the window
    with no text. GTK funtions complained about inserting null strings in menus:

    Gtk-WARNING **: invalid cast from `GtkMenuItem' to `GtkMenu'

    Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkmenushell.c: line 313 (gtk_menu_shell_insert):
    assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL (menu_shell)' failed.

    I can not type also. Obviosly, this happend after I played with the
    libraries, but now I can't find what is broken. When I put LANG=C it works
    fine I can see text strings, when I use LANG=es_ES or es_MX it displays
    empty menus, no text on the windows appears.

    To solve it I compiled AbiWord with debug option and this is what I got:

    [root@sapo progs]# ./execute monkiki 10001 /abi/bin/AbiWord
    Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display "0.0:10001.0".
    DEBUG: Build ID: unknown
    DEBUG: Version: 1.0.3
    DEBUG: Build Options:
    DEBUG: Build Target:
    DEBUG: Compile Date: Jan 13 2003
    DEBUG: Compile Time: 17:04:59

    GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to: No such user 23766.
    DEBUG: SEVIOR: Building menus and toolbars
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ToolbarAppearance |icon|icon|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT UnixFontPath |fonts|fonts|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT RemapGlyphsMasterSwitch |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT RemapGlyphsNoMatterWhat |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT RemapGlyphsDefault |°|°|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT RemapGlyphsTable
    |‘`’'“"”"|‘`’'“"”"|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SmartQuotesEnable |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT UseSuffix |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT DefaultPageSize |Letter|Letter|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT AutoSaveFile |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT AutoSaveFilePeriod |5|5|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT AutoSaveFileExt |.bak~|.bak~|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT EmbedFontsInPs |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT TransparentColor |ffffff|ffffff|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT DocumentLocale |en-US|en-US|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT AllowCustomToolbars |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT AutoLoadPlugins |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ZoomType |100|100|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ShowUnixFontWarning |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ModifyUnixFontPath |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT CloseOnLastDoc |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT DefaultSaveFormat |.abw|.abw|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT CursorBlink |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT AutoSpellCheck |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SpellCheckCaps |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SpellCheckNumbers |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SpellCheckInternet |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SpellCheckIgnoredWordsSave |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SpellCheckIgnoredWordsLoad |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SpellAutoReplace |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT OptionsTabNumber |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT RulerUnits |in|in|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT RulerVisible |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT StandardBarVisible |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT FormatBarVisible |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ExtraBarVisible |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT StatusBarVisible |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ParaVisible |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT StringSet |en-US|en-US|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT KeyBindings |default|default|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT KeyBindingsCycle |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT InsertMode |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT InsertModeToggle |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT MenuLayouts |Main|Main|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT MenuLabelSet |en-US|en-US|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ToolbarLabelSet |en-US|en-US|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ToolbarLayouts |FileEditOps FormatOps ExtraOps|FileEditOps
    FormatOps ExtraOps|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT layoutMode |1|1|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT AlwaysPromptEncoding |0|0|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT SpellCheckDirectory |dictionary|dictionary|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT StringSetDirectory |strings|strings|
    DEBUG: DEFAULT ShowSplash |1|1|
    DEBUG: Building XAP_EncodingManager
    DEBUG: This iconv supports UCS-2BE as "UCS-2BE"
    DEBUG: This iconv supports UCS-2LE as "UCS-2LE"
    DEBUG: EncodingManager reports the following:
           NativeEncodingName is ISO-8859-1, LanguageISOName is es,
      Native8BitEncodingName is ISO-8859-1,
           LanguageISOTerritory is ES, fallbackchar is '?'
           TexPrologue follows:
     ---8<--------------
     --->8--------------
           WinLanguageCode is 0x040a, WinCharsetCode is 0
           cjk_locale 0, can_break_words 0, swap_utos 1, swap_stou 1

    **** (1) Assert ****
    **** (1) UT_iconv_isValid(iconv_handle_N2U) &&
    UT_iconv_isValid(iconv_handle_U2N) at xap_EncodingManager.cpp:1085 ****
    **** (1) Continue ? (y/n) [y] :

    when I run AbiWord on a good filesystem, with all the libraries and locales
    installed ok, I get this correct debugging output:

    DEBUG: Building XAP_EncodingManager
    DEBUG: This iconv supports UCS-2BE as "UCS-2BE"
    DEBUG: This iconv supports UCS-2LE as "UCS-2LE"
    DEBUG: EncodingManager reports the following:
           NativeEncodingName is UTF-8, LanguageISOName is es,
      Native8BitEncodingName is ISO-8859-1,
           LanguageISOTerritory is MX, fallbackchar is '?'
           TexPrologue follows:
     ---8<--------------
     --->8--------------
           WinLanguageCode is 0x040a, WinCharsetCode is 0
           cjk_locale 0, can_break_words 0, swap_utos 0, swap_stou 0
    DEBUG: XAP_EncodingManager built
    DEBUG: Could not open file /abi/share/AbiSuite/AbiWord/system.profile-UTF-8
    DEBUG: Problem reading (System Default Preferences) document
    DEBUG: Could not open file
    /abi/share/AbiSuite/AbiWord/system.profile-es-MX.UTF-8
    DEBUG: Problem reading (System Default Preferences) document
    DEBUG: Preferences::setCurrentScheme [_builtin_].
    DEBUG: Prefs: Using LOCALE info from environment [es-MX]

    I found the difference in these outputs in one line, this

    broken:
           cjk_locale 0, can_break_words 0, swap_utos 1, swap_stou 1
    working:
           cjk_locale 0, can_break_words 0, swap_utos 0, swap_stou 0

    I am planning to hardcode swap_utos to 0, and swap_stou to 0 , would it
    work? Any idea of what did I broke in my customized linux instalation to
    screw the locales? Aparently i have all my /usr/share/locale and all files
    copied, it is not working for some strange reason ...

    Thanks in advance
    Nikolai