Re: commit: further bidi fixes

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 16 2003 - 18:47:20 EST

     --- Dom Lachowicz <domlachowicz@yahoo.com> wrote: > >
    I am working on the problems with bidi processing
    > of
    > > the GUI
    > > strings.
    >
    > 1) The build is broken
    > 2) Is this safe to do/assume, considering that GTK2
    > will do this for us on Unix, and QNX might do this
    > as
    > well, considering that everything it consumes are
    > UTF-8 strings?
    > 2.a) Might it be better/possible to follow the
    > suggestions laid down in bugs 1625/3655 and others,
    > and use the MS Unicode DLL, and pass in all strings
    > as
    > UCS-2 to the functions? Will that DLL do this work
    > for us?

    From what I've read, it will indeed do all this and
    it will do the tricky checking for odd combinations of
    OSes like bidi-enabled Win95 etc, all internally and
    automatically so it will work on every Windows.

    Unfortunately it'll be a lot of work. We have to make
    AbiWord build as a Unicode app on Win32 which means
    all assumptions about string literals and Windows code
    API strings being char * are now invalid. Also some
    strings will need functions to convert them to/from
    UCS-2/UTF-16 (and get it right!).

    I've done some experimental builds with Unicode
    enabled and added comments to all the places I have
    found which need to be changed but I haven't been
    able to keep this up-to-date or commit it.

    It is probably still worth our while to pursue the
    other option at this time unless somebody wants to
    actively take up the MS DLL work. (Wish I could!)

    Andrew Dunbar.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com