Re: Announce: 2.0 release plan

From: Mark Gilbert (markgilbert@hotpop.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 21:14:04 EST

    *sigh* and as you probably have noticed (whether due to lack of
    patchwork or lack of bugmail), I haven't nearly as much time for abi as
    once I had. A shame. Anyways, I'll still do what little I can^Wwill,
    leading to:

    On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 12:08, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

    > Target Platforms:
    > Win32

    Cygwin-only (X based, Native)
    Mingw+Msys-based
    MSVC+cyggy
    MSVC+proper (there are like, project files for that, right?)

    I'll be working on the first two, and completely clueless on the latter,
    keeping an eye out for regressions, and hopefully broadening support,
    documentation, and streamlining the build process. For those who dont
    know and will prolly make noise if I dont elaborate:

    Cygwin can build abi against X using gtk, of course, and also lets you
    easily install the mingw crap with some mods for use within a cyg
    environment, so to build for win native.
    Mingw needs no intro, but its relationship with msys has changed since
    1.x, being more system oriented instead of forcing even the most
    clueless newbie to install individual stuff. Nevertheless, due to
    naming coincidences with the core compiler stuff, I refer to msys and
    assume use of a consistent (all mingw based) build environment for the
    second option (as opposed to people scrapping together their own
    environments from bits and pieces of gnu, att, and whatnot, expecting us
    to automatically support it). Anyway...

    What have I missed? AFAIK Jam and other xp build system options are
    currently not in focus for 2.0, though I wouldn't be at all surprised if
    another build system appeared as if from nowhere before dom put the
    kaibash(pun intended) on it.

    > *NIX (Linux, BSD, Solaris, XDarwin in particular)

    Yum yum. I still hope to continue on the solpkg build muons, and if
    necessary will have fjf hold dom down while I get it done 'round mid
    april d=

    > QNX

    *grin* I have reason to believe our qnx support will be very nice for
    2.0, though I wont say more about it now...

    > If the MacOSX/Cocoa build progresses substantially, we
    > might have an "experimental" release of it. I will not
    > hold back the 2.0 release on MacOSX's behalf.

    hub laptop is back! hub laptop is back!

    > Expected polish/bugfix/improved 2.0 features:
    > * Unix printing

    Uhm...have we given up on windows printing altogether? I mean, it's a
    pretty hopeless cause, but I think we are obligated to go on kidding
    ourselves
    *ducks numerous blows*
    (-:

    > Tentatively, I'm thinking that we should AIM to have
    > 2.0 out by May 1st, 2003.

    Fun fun fun now that dommy took the tweety away.

    > Jan 22: 1.1.3 release. Soft feature freeze. No
    > features not listed above allowed in.
    >
    > February 22: 2.0alpha1 release.

    So...sure you dont want one 'round early febubarry? Just askin'...

    > March 1: Hard feature freeze (1 1/2 months for above
    > feature work). Only polish and bugfixes on above "New"
    > features allowed. Anything missing punted to beyond
    > 2.0. 2.0beta1 release. 2 months until release.

    Mad QA rush begins, steadily (yeah, dont think I wasnt bashing my
    keyboard with the letters 'g' 'd' and 'b' before 1.0 wit everyone else)

    > March 30: String and documentation freeze.
    > Translations accepted, no new en-US. 2.0beta2 release.

    About modified en-US strings? And that doc freeze...I know you wouldn't
    have said it without reason, but a month is a long time....meh,
    whatever, looking again at the next few lines i guess it's a lot closer
    than it seems at first.

    > April 6: 2.0beta3 release
    >
    > April 13: 2.0rc1 release

    Mad QA rush heightens, mg breaks out a fresh batch of caffeine to share
    with matt and mikey.

    > April 20: No more strings, even translated ones (3
    > weeks from March 30). 2.0rc2 release

    Except version strings (:

    HA! Ha! haaaa....

    > April 27: Tree frozen. No more commits except for HUGE
    > problems, trivial provably non-regression-causing, or
    > build fixes.

    Commit (ABI-2-0-0-STABLE): Motif port

    *g*

    > May 1: 2.0 released, with various source and binary
    > packages available.

    Party at Jody's place, everyone's invited!

    > May 5, 2003: Partying stopped, hangovers getting
    > (marginally) better.

    EAZen will have to clean up the happy-powder everywhere.

    > All commits in the "RC" period (April 13->May 1) need
    > to be authorized by myself and/or Martin. No
    > exceptions. Patches are to be sent to the list in 'cvs
    > diff -u' format.

    Heh. Attention third party observers: Anything truly needing a -r is
    too complicated for rc. (-:

    Cheers!
    -MG