Re: INS

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 19 2003 - 19:01:31 EST

    > None of those things mean that it is not confusing,
    > or that there is no room for improvement.

    No, but it also doesn't mean that your suggestion is
    the appropriate fix for the problem, or even if this
    problem is one worth solving, especially at our level.

    > > I suggest people learn how to use their machines,
    > or
    >
    > That is really condescending and not something i
    > would ever have expected
    > from you. Is the target audience for abiword no
    > longer "clueless newbies"
    > or the archetypal "church secretary" mentioned so
    > often?

    It would be nonstandard behavior with respect to both
    our competition and our target operating systems. This
    in itself would be confusing. Just because I don't
    think that one idea is a good one doesn't mean that I
    hate users. I dislike this as much as I dislike the
    "Warning: Contents Hot" message on coffee cups.

    > I had a suggestion, i filed a bug report, you dont
    > think it is a good
    > idea. It is a recurring user question and i think
    > something can be done
    > about it.

    I think the "Read the AbiWord/MSWord/Keyboard Manual"
    is how this should be best answered. You're allowed to
    disagree with me. However, as I would be the one
    implementing this feature, and I strongly disagree
    with you, you're not likely to see this get
    implemented.

    > > if this really bugs you, propose some change to
    > the
    > > GNOME HIG or Usability Group. We might be more
    > > receptive to them.
    >
    > I have started a discussion on the Gnome usability
    > list. Hopefully next
    > time i bring this up I will have something more
    > concrete and convincing.

    This is the only way you're going to get this to be
    considered by me.