Re: Commit -- fix startup delay due to Xft (was RE : Piece Table with O(log(n)) operations)

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 14:02:17 EST

    On Sun, 19 Jan 2003, Joaquin Cuenca Abela wrote:

    > Joaquin wrote:
    > >
    > > Martin wrote:
    > > >
    > > > However I think the most pressing perfomance issue we
    > > > currently have and
    > > > would most like fixed before 2.0 is the problem of slow
    > > > start-up on XFT
    > > > builds on systems with lots of fonts. Is this something
    > > > you're interested
    > > > in fixing?
    > >
    > > Oh, yes, that's embarrasing :)
    >
    > It was, indeed, embarrasing. That's fixed now (people with large font
    > collections, please test it).

    Thank you Joaquin :-) I just tested this on my windows with MS Office/
    linux laptop. I copied every font on on my windows partition to my .fonts
    file. They all work and AbiWord starts up just as fast as usual.

    With this in place I think we should make RH 8 binaries for 1.1.3. We now
    blow Open Office out of the water in font support :-)

    Cheers!

    Martin