RE : "can't open font" at startup

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@free.fr)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 15:23:54 EST

    Marc wrote:
    > A quote I saved from #abiword:
    >

    > <mhatta> would you check whether your /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    > contains "<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>"?
    > <hub> it does
    > <mhatta> hmm
    > <mhatta> on my box, abiword can't find fonts if fonts.conf
    > has that lin
    >

    > Hope this helps. If not, then I'm clueless as usual

    It should be unrelated.

    The "DEBUG: Impossible to open font file..." mean almost always that the
    font is not scalable (.pf[ab] or .ttf). The example that Christian post
    (UTRG__12-ISO8859-1.pcf.gz) is a non-scalable font, so AbiWord rightly
    refuses to use this font (it will be unable to print with it, anyway).

    The slowness that Christian was suffering was because he was using the
    abiword version before my latest cvs commit. But he says that now there
    is no startup delay, but AbiWord is not able to use any font. I will
    take a look at its fonts.conf and its fonts to see where the problem
    comes from, but I'm almost sure that it's a configuration problem.

    Check with fc-list if fontconfig is able to find any scalable font. If
    it does, and this font doesn't show in AbiWord then there is a problem
    in our side.

    Cheers,