Re: xft gr_UnixGraphics::drawChars() bug (#4021)

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 20 2003 - 22:19:34 EST

     --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <e98cuenc@free.fr> wrote: >
    Tomas wrote:

    > > There is a bug in the xft version of the
    > > gr_UnixGraphics::drawChars() routine which is
    > > responsible for bug 4021; all the drawChars()
    > > functions have to skip over character 0xFEFF which
    > > is used as a dummy placeholder in handling two-
    > > character ligatures. Could someone who understands
    > > the xft code deal with this please?
    >
    > There is no need to change ::drawChars(). Just add
    > <int>0xfeff</int> to
    > the <blank>...</blank> item in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    >
    > It should be there in recent versions of fontconfig.
    >
    > Btw, Tomas, why are you using 0xfeff to express
    > something about
    > ligatures? Is there no way to express it using the
    > unicode zero-width
    > joiners? What's exactly the role that it plays? To
    > force an optional
    > ligature?

    0xfeff is the ZWNBSP (Zero Width Non Breaking Space).
    (It is also used as the BOM (Byte Order Mark) but
    *only* at the very start of a file).
    I'm assuming Tomas is converting a sequence of two
    non-ligature characters into one ligature character
    followed by the ZWNBSP character on the assumption
    that
    it will not be rendered. I couldn't guess if this is
    the recommended way to deal with ligatures or if it
    should work. But I would expect that ZWNBSP should
    never be rendered unless perhaps some "show
    formatting"
    option ought to reveal such a thing...

    Andrew.

    =====