RE : xft gr_UnixGraphics::drawChars() bug (#4021)

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 05:47:02 EST

    Hi Joaquin,

    > There is no need to change ::drawChars(). Just add <int>0xfeff</int>
    > to the <blank>...</blank> item in /etc/fonts/fonts.conf
    >
    > It should be there in recent versions of fontconfig.

    Excellent, I will add that to the bug report and close it.

    > Btw, Tomas, why are you using 0xfeff to express something about
    > ligatures? Is there no way to express it using the unicode zero-width
    > joiners? What's exactly the role that it plays? To force an optional
    > ligature?
    As Andrew assumed correctly, when processing the text to be
    stored in the fp_TextRun's cache, I convert two-character
    sequences that have a special presentation form to the sequence
    presentation-form,0xFEFF. This way the length of the raw and
    shaped strings remains the same, so that the ligature still behaves as
    two characters for navigation purposes, etc.

    Tomas