programming AbiWord (was: Re: Code patches vs. macros vs. plugins (was: Re: Re[2]: INS)

From: Tomas Frydrych (tomas@frydrych.uklinux.net)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 09:27:55 EST

    > If the design is done right, then AbiWord will work even if no
    > Python/Scheme/*your-favorite-scripting-language* is installed in your
    > PC - just it'll not do scripts. So you'd not need to suffer from
    > excess luggage.

    AbiWord has a decent scripting framework in place which makes it
    possible to script it in pretty much anything decent. Joaquine has
    done loads of work on Perl bindings, and the Unix port can be
    scripted using Perl (there are bits and pieces of the code that are
    unix specific, namely, it wants unistd.h and dirent.h; this, obviously
    needs to be fixed).

    Now, there is no reason why Perl should be the only language
    supported -- all that is required is for someone to write the code to
    inteface with the interpreter; I believe there is a Python plugin
    already, but am not sure how far advanced it is.

    I think we would benefit from some simple scripting language very
    easy to use, something so simple that the church secretary might be
    able to use that for very basic stuff.

    Tomas