Re: RE : "can't open font" at startup

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 15:48:35 EST

    Please see my comments in bugs 4455 and 4518 - they're
    very much on point. We basically need a way to get
    FontConfig to NOT return us non-scalable fonts. How
    it's working now is basically -

    1) We request all of the fonts
    2) We build a list of all of the Scalable (non-PCF,
    basically) fonts (ttf, pfa, pfb, afm)
    3) Later, we request a font, like "Times New Roman"
    that was in our list. NB: this font has at least 2
    representations on your disk and for fontconfig: a
    Scalable version (TTF/PFA/...) and non-Scalable (PCF)
    4) We get a non-Scalable PCF version of "Times New
    Roman" instead of the PFA/TTF/whatever
    5) We choke on the PCF garbage non-scalable font

    We need a way to either:

    1) Exclude non-Scalable (PCF) fonts from our returned
    set, or from ever appearing in a result set, ever
    2) Give higher priority/precedence to the Scalable
    version of the font in cases where there is overlap.

    I thought that FcPatternAddBoolean (pattern,
    FC_SCALABLE, FcTrue) in the right spots in the code
    might accomplish this, but I had some users in IRC
    test it last night, with no luck. But then again, it
    was a stab in the dark and I don't have 100%
    confidence in either my patch or my testers. Joaquin
    might have better suggestions and test code now that
    I've given this description.