RE : RE : "can't open font" at startup

From: Joaquin Cuenca Abela (e98cuenc@free.fr)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 16:50:13 EST

    Dom wrote:

    > Please see my comments in bugs 4455 and 4518 - they're
    > very much on point. We basically need a way to get
    > FontConfig to NOT return us non-scalable fonts. How
    > it's working now is basically -
    >
    > 1) We request all of the fonts
    > 2) We build a list of all of the Scalable (non-PCF,
    > basically) fonts (ttf, pfa, pfb, afm)
    > 3) Later, we request a font, like "Times New Roman"
    > that was in our list. NB: this font has at least 2
    > representations on your disk and for fontconfig: a Scalable
    > version (TTF/PFA/...) and non-Scalable (PCF)
    > 4) We get a non-Scalable PCF version of "Times New
    > Roman" instead of the PFA/TTF/whatever
    > 5) We choke on the PCF garbage non-scalable font
    [snip]

    I think that Dom is pretty much right. The addition of FC_SCALABLE to
    the pattern seems like a good thing to me anyway, but AFAIK it should
    work without it (and even if we add it, we should still check from the
    printability of the font... Unfortunately some fonts are scalable but
    our print code doesn't know how to embed them in postscript). From what
    Christian sent me, it seems that we're just stopping looking at fonts
    after we've inspected hundreds (or maybe thousands of fonts). Maybe it
    just a fontconfig bug or we're using a fixed buffer size somewhere (but
    I don't think so, knowing how much I hate fixes buffer sizes :).

    I've had two busy days, but I will a closer look tomorrow evening. With
    what Christian sent and with Dom suggestions I should have enough data
    to track down this problem (but Dom, if you come with anything faster
    than me, be my guess)

    Cheers,