Re: RE : INS, caret colour, etc.

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 17:15:53 EST

    --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <e98cuenc@free.fr> wrote:

    > Plam gave me another reason, but I'm afraid I don't
    > remember it (and I
    > think that I didn't understand it).

    There were a bunch of reasons. I'll try to remember
    them:

    1) MacOS didn't have XOR, and it was _not_ easy to
    implement
    2) XOR was only being used for the Caret drawing.
    Copy/Save under was more appropriate
    3) XOR is dangerous for a variety of reasons. Plam
    knew more reasons than I did, but, in short, XOR
    drawing was responsible for a lot of our pixel/cursor
    dirt.

    In any event, Tomas implemented the red caret in about
    4 lines of code even with the current saveRect()
    restoreRect() combination. I did the "square" caret,
    but didn't commit my work. It (the caret, not my code)
    looked absolutely dreadful.