Re: RE : INS, caret colour, etc.

From: Patrick Lam (plam@plam.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 18:43:09 EST

    On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 02:15:53PM -0800, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
    > --- Joaquin Cuenca Abela <e98cuenc@free.fr> wrote:
    >
    > > Plam gave me another reason, but I'm afraid I don't
    > > remember it (and I
    > > think that I didn't understand it).
    >
    > 3) XOR is dangerous for a variety of reasons. Plam
    > knew more reasons than I did, but, in short, XOR
    > drawing was responsible for a lot of our pixel/cursor
    > dirt.

    The problem was that I couldn't coordinate redraws with xors. That is,
    when the window system went behind my back to redraw something (for
    instance, if you obscure part of the caret) I couldn't redraw just part
    of the caret; I don't think GTK, at least tells you enough to do this.
    You would have to enlarge the draw region to encompass the whole caret
    and redraw it entirely (from scratch). save/restore doesn't depend on
    the underlying redraw state of the window, so it seems a lot more robust
    to me.

    pat