Re: AbiWord's printing architecture

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 18:45:00 EST

     --- Robert Roebling <Robert.Roebling@t-online.de>
    wrote: > Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

    > > > but I'm not sure it is so much better than
    > > > FreeType's and that is what Pango uses to
    > > > create the outlines.
    > >
    > > Pango just gets the outline data from FT - it
    > > doesn't read the hint tables,
    >
    > I could be wrong once again, but isnt hintint
    > useful for low resolution on screen, whereas
    > it doesn't play any noteworthy role in the area
    > of 600dpi upwards?
    > Also, isn't hinting simply patented by Apple,
    > at least in the US and in the UK? I know
    > people have added "auto-hinting" to FreeType
    > recently, but that didn't match the real
    > hinting in quality (unsurprisingly).

    Pango doesn't read the hinting tables itself, FreeType
    may, depending on how it's compiled. TrueType hinting
    algorithms are patented so they're not enabled by
    default. But FreeType also has "auto-hinting" which
    is its own technology which tries to do hinting
    without the need for tables.

    I have read that some CJK fonts use hinting tables
    for far more than they were intended - I'm not sure
    how well these work with FreeType...

    Andrew Dunbar.

    <robert.roebling@medizin.uni-ulm.de>

    =====