Re: AbiWord's printing architecture

From: Robert Roebling (Robert.Roebling@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 04:44:04 EST

    Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

    > > but I'm not sure it is so much better than
    > > FreeType's and that is what Pango uses to
    > > create the outlines.
    >
    > Pango just gets the outline data from FT - it
    > doesn't read the hint tables,

    I could be wrong once again, but isnt hintint
    useful for low resolution on screen, whereas
    it doesn't play any noteworthy role in the area
    of 600dpi upwards?
    Also, isn't hinting simply patented by Apple,
    at least in the US and in the UK? I know
    people have added "auto-hinting" to FreeType
    recently, but that didn't match the real
    hinting in quality (unsurprisingly).

     Robert

    --
    Robert Roebling, MD <robert.roebling@medizin.uni-ulm.de>