Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 14:10:20 EDT

    > > > [1] http://gnome-de.org/~manny/prefsmockup1.png
    > > General:
    > > 1. Why not move the statusbar and ruler prefs
    > directly into the view menu.
    > > Would make access to these much quicker.
    > They are in the view menu, too.
    > I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to keep it in
    > the prefs dialog,
    > too. Maybe you're right. AW devels?

    There's no need for this in more than one place. The
    view menu is the obvious place to handle this.

    > > 2. I thought there was a global gnome pref for
    > cursor blink, wouldn't be
    > > better to use this pref?
    > I assume this is pref is set by a gconf key. As of
    > today, AbiWord hasn't
    > got any possibility to interact with gconf. Probably
    > a 2.2 TODO.

    Is a 2.2 todo.

    > > 4. Why would you disable tooltips?
    > You are right, it's a fundamental question whether
    > it makes sense to
    > disable them. I think this option is even dubious
    > cross-platform-wise.
    > Dom?

    You can remove the GTK+/GNOME UI for the preference
    but I we'll keep the preference. You'll have to do the
    equivalent of gconf-editor to change it.

    > > You should default automatic save to on, thats a
    > nice feature :)
    > Hey, that's just a mockup :).
    > All the defaults are loaded by some config backend
    > at runtime.

    Like I said, default is going to stay off for now.

    > > 1. Kill the splash screen pref. Splash screens are
    > poor excuses for long
    > > load times. It is especially unneeded now that
    > gnome has application launch
    > > feedback.
    > I think the AbiWord developers will keep it as a
    > kind of a brand. I'm
    > not sure whether an UI option makes sense. Dom?

    Pref will go from the GTK+/GNOME UI. Power users can
    still do --nosplash or edit their preferences file
    manually if they must.

    > > 2. Why would you not automatically load all
    > plugins? (legit question)
    > Plugins are handled in a non-gnumeric manner in
    > AbiWord. You add them
    > manually and probably just don't want them to be
    > loaded automatically.
    > Maybe the label is a bit confusing. The "all"
    > implies that some are
    > loaded.

    Nah, all plugins are loaded on startup, you don't have
    to add them manually. There are a few automatic places
    where they're loaded from -
    $lib/AbiSuite/AbiWord/plugins and
    ~/.AbiSuite/AbiWord/plugins I think - or at least
    something resembling that heirarchy.

    Thanks,