Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 23:57:04 EDT

    On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 03:55, Christian Neumair wrote:
    > Am Die, 2003-06-03 um 18.48 schrieb David Adam Bordoley:
    > > > From: Christian Neumair <chris@gnome-de.org>
    > > >
    > > > I just compiled a bunch of screenshots of my mockup for a new AbiWord
    > > > preferences dialog [1-4].
    > > > Please have a look at them and make proposals on what I can still
    > > > improve. I like it much more than the old dialog but I'm not completely
    > > > satisfied. Especially the buttons IMO are far away from looking perfect.
    > > > Thanks for your efforts!
    >
    > I already got some suggestions from the abiword mailing list.
    > The problem is that both of the lists are closed so postings are not
    > really exchanged.
    >
    > > > [1] http://gnome-de.org/~manny/prefsmockup1.png
    > > General:
    > > 1. Why not move the statusbar and ruler prefs directly into the view menu.
    > > Would make access to these much quicker.
    > They are in the view menu, too.
    > I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to keep it in the prefs dialog,
    > too. Maybe you're right. AW devels?
    >
    > > 2. I thought there was a global gnome pref for cursor blink, wouldn't be
    > > better to use this pref?
    > I assume this is pref is set by a gconf key. As of today, AbiWord hasn't
    > got any possibility to interact with gconf. Probably a 2.2 TODO.
    >
    > > 3. I think it would be better to move the toolbar editting interface stuff
    > > into a seperate dialog. In epiphany we use edit->toolbars.
    > I don't think Ephy's way of handling toolbars is acceptable for AbiWord.
    > In AW you don't edit particular items, but the toolbar as a whole.

    This isn't true. In Abiword you can drag and drop and toolbar buttons by
    Right-press-drag and place them on other toolbars or in a different spot
    on the toolbar if "Allow customizable toolbars" is set. Otherwise the
    toolbars are set to the default layout.

    <snip>

    --
    Martin Sevior <msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au>