Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Raphael Finkel (raphael@cs.uky.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 22:49:47 EDT

    > I have to agree that improvement is definitely needed
    > here. I consider myself pretty international-savvy
    > and these prefs even have me confused.
    > But until we have more developers who really know the
    > Arabic/Hebrew/Yiddish/etc issuses and who really know
    > programming, OSes, layout, Unicode; there's probably
    > not much we can do ):

    For Yiddish:

    I want default rtl text direction.

    I don't want Hebrew glyph shaping; I think that the underlying idea leads to
    badly encoded files. (The idea is that Abiword can display a final letter form
    but store a nonfinal form in the file. This idea breaks spell checkers and
    makes the file wrong for anyone who doesn't display it with similar software.
    I find it much better to enter and store the correct final forms. Input
    methods and plugins can do that for me, both on Unix and Win32)

    I don't know what "determine glyph shapes from context" means.

    My guess is that Hebrew authors will want essentially the same selection as
    Yiddish authors; the alphabet is 95% identical. I cannot speak about Arabic,
    which I understand is more complex.

    Raphael