Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 13:20:07 EDT

    On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, David Adam Bordoley wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 12:48:17 -0400
    > From: David Adam Bordoley <bordoley@msu.edu>
    > To: usability@gnome.org, abiword-dev@abisource.com
    > Subject: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup
    >

    > > From: Christian Neumair <chris@gnome-de.org>
    > >
    > > I just compiled a bunch of screenshots of my mockup for a new AbiWord
    > > preferences dialog [1-4].
    > > Please have a look at them and make proposals on what I can still
    > > improve. I like it much more than the old dialog but I'm not completely
    > > satisfied. Especially the buttons IMO are far away from looking perfect.
    > > Thanks for your efforts!
    > >
    > > regs,
    > > Chris
    > >
    > > [1] http://gnome-de.org/~manny/prefsmockup1.png
    > General:
    > 1. Why not move the statusbar and ruler prefs directly into the view menu.
    > Would make access to these much quicker.

    Dont have the latest version of abiword in front of me but I am fairly
    sure they are also avialable in the menu.

    > 2. I thought there was a global gnome pref for cursor blink, wouldn't be
    > better to use this pref?

    Probably, I expect the developers were not aware of this global
    preference if you could confirm that you didn't imagine it I expect they
    would add it at some point.

    > 3. I think it would be better to move the toolbar editting interface stuff
    > into a seperate dialog. In epiphany we use edit->toolbars.
    >
    > 4. Why would you disable tooltips?

    I think some people find them annoying (advanced users maybe).
    MS Word and The Gimp have this option too.

    > > [2] http://gnome-de.org/~manny/prefsmockup2.png
    >
    > I can't pin it down, but it seems like most of these prefs are technobabble.
    > Shouldn't the right to left prefs just work automagically based on locale?

    Ideally yes but it is more complicated than that, for now the option has
    to stay.

    > The glyph prefs are particularly crypic and meaningless to 99.9% of people i
    > would guess. Are there sane defaults that can be used instead. Seems odd to
    > have a preference for one specific language.

    > You should default automatic save to on, thats a nice feature :)

    It impacts on performance and is not really necessary. Besides,
    (depending on compile time options) if abiword crashes a Document.CRASHED
    file will be created so you wont lose any data.

    > > [3] http://gnome-de.org/~manny/prefsmockup3.png
    >
    > If you've chosen to include a custom dictionary, why would you choose not to
    > make suggestions from it?
    >
    > > [4] http://gnome-de.org/~manny/prefsmockup4.png
    >
    > 1. Kill the splash screen pref. Splash screens are poor excuses for long
    > load times. It is especially unneeded now that gnome has application launch
    > feedback.

    Abiword doesn't have a long launch time. Abiword generally loads long
    before the splash screen is finished, the splash screen is
    seperate clicking on the splash screen dismisses it.
    A splash screen is more obvious than launch feedback.
    I dont know if abiword supports startup notification yet.

    > 2. Why would you not automatically load all plugins? (legit question)

    Performance. Some plugins are a bit big.

    Why do you need to say legit question?

    > 3. Are preference schemes really necessary? Seems like something 1 out of
    > 1000 people will use.

    While you could rip them all out and produce a much simpler layout I dont
    think abiword is ready for that, but if there are ways to pickup system
    preferences and set sensible defaults then all the better.

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

    PS Abiword has special keybinding modes for both Vi and Emacs users which
    can be accessed by editing the file Abiword.Profile but this feature could
    really do with some hacking.