Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 13:46:47 EDT

    > > 1. Why not move the statusbar and ruler prefs
    > directly into the view menu.
    > > Would make access to these much quicker.
    >
    > Dont have the latest version of abiword in front of
    > me but I am fairly
    > sure they are also avialable in the menu.

    These are available in the View menu and probably
    should be removed from our prefs dialog.

    > > 2. I thought there was a global gnome pref for
    > cursor blink, wouldn't be
    > > better to use this pref?
    >
    > Probably, I expect the developers were not aware of
    > this global
    > preference if you could confirm that you didn't
    > imagine it I expect they
    > would add it at some point.

    If there is, please point me to it. How GTK+ does
    cursor blinking underneath the sheets is downright
    unusable/non-extensible.

    > > 4. Why would you disable tooltips?

    I think that this is a good candidate for removal.

    > > I can't pin it down, but it seems like most of
    > these prefs are technobabble.
    > > Shouldn't the right to left prefs just work
    > automagically based on locale?
    >
    > Ideally yes but it is more complicated than that,
    > for now the option has
    > to stay.

    If there was a way to auto-determine from (say)
    locale.h what the preferred writing direction, paper
    size, unit specifier, etc... was, that would be great.
    As far as I know, there is no such single interface
    for this type of information. Please do inform me if
    I'm wrong here. This might be a good RFP for a
    freekdesktop.org spec if there is none.

    > > The glyph prefs are particularly crypic and
    > meaningless to 99.9% of people i
    > > would guess. Are there sane defaults that can be
    > used instead. Seems odd to
    > > have a preference for one specific language.

    This only holds true if you think that .1% of the
    world's populus speaks [Arabic, Hebrew, Yiddish]. This
    may not be the best way to present this to the user,
    but nonetheless, it needs to be presented (or at least
    determined - see above about problems determining this
    sort of stuff) somehow. We have a halfway decent way
    of auto-determining this stuff, but it's less than
    perfect.

    > > You should default automatic save to on, thats a
    > nice feature :)
    >
    > It impacts on performance and is not really
    > necessary. Besides,
    > (depending on compile time options) if abiword
    > crashes a Document.CRASHED
    > file will be created so you wont lose any data.

    I'm going to have to agree with Alan. Auto-save is not
    an obvious thing to have enabled and can have
    undesirable side-effects.

    > > 1. Kill the splash screen pref. Splash screens are
    > poor excuses for long
    > > load times. It is especially unneeded now that
    > gnome has application launch
    > > feedback.

    Abi's load time is non-existant. Splash screens aren't
    just for mitigating long load times (ala OpenOffice),
    but also for marketing and branding purpose, and as
    such, are desirable for us to have in there.

    > I dont know if abiword supports startup notification
    > yet.

    Startup notification is built into GTK+, so yes, we
    do.

    > > 2. Why would you not automatically load all
    > plugins? (legit question)
    >
    > Performance. Some plugins are a bit big.

    Good question. I'm not sure if there would ever be a
    case where we don't want to load any plugins, if they
    are found. This is a good candidate for removal.

    > > 3. Are preference schemes really necessary? Seems
    > like something 1 out of
    > > 1000 people will use.

    I asked for this to be removed. A lot of other useful
    discussion has happened off of the usability list.

    Cheers,