Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: ericzen (ericzen@ez-net.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 18:00:44 EDT

    On 2003.06.03 12:46 Dom Lachowicz wrote:

    > > > 4. Why would you disable tooltips?
    >
    > I think that this is a good candidate for removal.

    They're annoying. I would think most people would want to get rid of many of them within one month of consistent use of the application (this is drawn from my own experience of being ME!).

    > > > 2. Why would you not automatically load all
    > > plugins? (legit question)
    > >
    > > Performance. Some plugins are a bit big.
    >
    > Good question. I'm not sure if there would ever be a
    > case where we don't want to load any plugins, if they
    > are found. This is a good candidate for removal.

    If for no other reason, testing in case something goes unexpectantly wrong with a plugin. Abi's got a small footprint, and only people still using a VAX would think otherwise, but I prefer to only load on start up what I know I'm going to use, like the xdisplay plugin. I'm not likely to use, for example, PDF, but may use it once in, probably, every six months; ditto OTS (when available), but I will probably use Aik indescrimantely.

    Just because I build them all doesn't mean I want to load them all. MetaBug aside, a memory leak on this machine could have very annoying effects within 24hours. (Abi got better, galeon got worse, point stands).

    That was probably more than 2 cents worth, but I have any common cents whatsoever...