Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 21:36:09 EDT

    > > > The glyph prefs are particularly crypic and
    > > > meaningless to 99.9% of people i
    > > > would guess. Are there sane defaults that can be
    > > > used instead. Seems odd to
    > > > have a preference for one specific language.
    >
    > This only holds true if you think that .1% of the
    > world's populus speaks [Arabic, Hebrew, Yiddish].
    > This may not be the best way to present this to the
    > user, but nonetheless, it needs to be presented (or
    > at least determined - see above about problems
    > determining this sort of stuff) somehow. We have a
    > halfway decent way of auto-determining this stuff,
    > but it's less than perfect.

    I have to agree that improvement is definitely needed
    here. I consider myself pretty international-savvy
    and these prefs even have me confused.
    But until we have more developers who really know the
    Arabic/Hebrew/Yiddish/etc issuses and who really know
    programming, OSes, layout, Unicode; there's probably
    not much we can do ):

    > > > 2. Why would you not automatically load all
    > > plugins? (legit question)
    > >
    > > Performance. Some plugins are a bit big.
    >
    > Good question. I'm not sure if there would ever be a
    > case where we don't want to load any plugins, if
    > they
    > are found. This is a good candidate for removal.

    Generally I'm in favour of being able to choose which
    plugins I want started automatically.
    Or equally being able to choose which are not.
    I don't have any reason to want this a big priority
    though.

    Andrew.

    =====
    http://linguaphile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/translator.pl http://www.abisource.com