Re: bidi default to RTL option

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 15:48:24 EDT

    Hi Tomas,

    > #2 is the problem, because we cannot assume that
    > every doc we load
    > contains reasonable default values; this might be
    > the case with ABW,
    > RTF or DOC files, but not necessarily other files,
    > such as plain
    > text. If a Hebrew user loads a Hebrew plain text
    > file and then
    > decides she wants it to have two columns, without
    > the global
    > preference 'default to rtl' the columns will be in
    > the wrong, LTR,
    > order. This is simply because there is no document-
    > and section-wide
    > "dom-dir" property in a plain text file, and so when
    > looking for the
    > section "dom-dir" property determining the column
    > order,
    > PP_EvaluateProperty() will end up with the
    > hard-coded value for "dom-
    > dir" in PP_Properties.cpp, which is LTR. The global
    > preference allows
    > to change this hardcoded value to RTL and is really
    > necessary.

    Ok, I see the logic for this now. I totally failed to
    take the TXT case into account.

    I didn't remove the pref. What we need to do is to
    conditionally apply the pref in documents (or classes
    of documents, like txt) that are incapable of
    specifying dom-dir themselves. However, I believe that
    it's wrong to override the dom-dir setting with a
    user-pref when dom-dir is explicitly set in the
    document.

    So, we'll no longer have this pref setting in
    PD_Document.cpp, but it might make sense for IE_Imp to
    have a fn call like '_setDefaultDomDir()' that the
    TXT, ... filters call.

    If this sounds acceptable to you, please implement it.
    If there's still something disagreeable in there,
    please let me know.

    Thanks,