Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Alan Horkan (horkana@maths.tcd.ie)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 14:01:32 EDT

    On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Dom Lachowicz wrote:

    > > > 4. Why would you disable tooltips?
    >
    > I think that this is a good candidate for removal.

    but presumably you can leave it in Abiword.Profile for the time being?
    I'll try and find out why this feature is in the GIMP.

    > I'm going to have to agree with Alan. Auto-save is not

    You say that as if having to agree with me is an unpleasant painful
    experience like having to go to the dentist. Is there something you are
    not telling me?

    > Abi's load time is non-existant. Splash screens aren't
    > just for mitigating long load times (ala OpenOffice),
    > but also for marketing and branding purpose, and as
    > such, are desirable for us to have in there.

    I turn it off, but I knew the reasoning for being there.

    > > I dont know if abiword supports startup notification
    > > yet.
    >
    > Startup notification is built into GTK+, so yes, we
    > do.

    I thought that some minor configuration had to be done to actually use
    startup notification but my lack on knowledge here is unimportant.

    > Good question. I'm not sure if there would ever be a
    > case where we don't want to load any plugins, if they
    > are found. This is a good candidate for removal.

    Are the GdkPixbuf and Image magick plugins not a bit big?

    I suppose it makes sense to just (re)move the plugin .dll or .so from your
    .plugins folder rather than enabling or disabling them.
    Besides we have the Plugins dialog for this.

    > > > 3. Are preference schemes really necessary? Seems
    > > like something 1 out of
    > > > 1000 people will use.
    >
    > I asked for this to be removed. A lot of other useful
    > discussion has happened off of the usability list.

    I dont need a GUI for it but I would like to still have it.
    Part of my reasoning is that I would like to be able to turn off
    various toolbars when editing a text file.

    Sincerely

    Alan Horkan
    http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/