Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 14:21:06 EDT

    > but presumably you can leave it in Abiword.Profile
    > for the time being?
    > I'll try and find out why this feature is in the
    > GIMP.

    Yeah. There's a distinct difference between removing
    the pref outright and just removing it from the GUI. I
    don't really plan to remove any of this from the prefs
    backend in the near future. Uncluttering and
    simplifying the UI is worthwhile, though.

    > > I'm going to have to agree with Alan. Auto-save is
    > not
    >
    > You say that as if having to agree with me is an
    > unpleasant painful
    > experience like having to go to the dentist. Is
    > there something you are
    > not telling me?

    I sure hope you're joking here. I meant no disrespect.

    > > Good question. I'm not sure if there would ever be
    > > case where we don't want to load any plugins, if
    > they
    > > are found. This is a good candidate for removal.
    >
    > Are the GdkPixbuf and Image magick plugins not a bit
    > big?

    ImageMagick plugin takes a while to load, and has the
    potential for being "big". Pixbuf, however, is
    pre-loaded by GTK+ and the plugin itself is only a few
    K in size. I don't seriously advocate using the
    ImageMagick plugin on Unix systems anyway, even though
    IM is a great product. Pixbuf is more along the lines
    of what I believe our users want and expect, and it's
    integrated into the toolkit chain.

    > Seems
    > > > like something 1 out of
    > >
    > > I asked for this to be removed. A lot of other
    > useful
    > > discussion has happened off of the usability list.
    >
    > I dont need a GUI for it but I would like to still
    > have it.
    > Part of my reasoning is that I would like to be able
    > to turn off
    > various toolbars when editing a text file.

    Yeah, I agree with you. Our GUI for manipulating these
    sorts of things is outright terrible. I'm not going to
    remove the backend functionality, but rather just
    change how we're editing/expressing that
    functionality.

    Cheers,