Re: [Usability] [RFC] Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

From: Martin Sevior (msevior@physics.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 19:02:19 EDT

    On 4 Jun 2003, Christian Neumair wrote:
    <snip>

    > > This isn't true. In Abiword you can drag and drop and toolbar buttons by
    > > Right-press-drag and place them on other toolbars or in a different spot
    > > on the toolbar if "Allow customizable toolbars" is set. Otherwise the
    > > toolbars are set to the default layout.
    > OK, so in fact the libegg toolbar editor could be useful. Do you think
    > it's a good idea to ship libegg code with abiword?

    Not right now. We're trying to find the time to get all the bugs in
    AbiWord-2.0 squashed. We don't have time to play with experimental code.
    Plus I really don't like the idea of shipping what is meant to be a
    production application with dependencies on unproven code.

    Maybe when we next get into an experimental mode sometime after 2.0.

    On the other hand there is nothing stopping a libegg hacker grabbing a CVS
    copy of AbiWord and proving their 31331 hacking skillz by showing how
    AbiWord-2.0 would rock if we'd only use their mega-cool library :-)

    Look at the code in src/ev/unix/ev_UnixToolbar*.*

    PS. The interview with Nat Friedman has got me thinking that we should try
    to integrate gnome-vfs with abiword for 2.0. Can't let OOo have any more
    bragging rights over us :-)