Re: Gnome Office [Re: Dublin meeting]

From: Ted Lemon (mellon@fugue.com)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 21:19:28 EDT

    On Saturday 21 June 2003 11:24, Petr Tomasek wrote:
    > (And yes, I know it's easy to say and hard to implement, and I know I have
    > written very little code yet. So this is not meant by no mean as a
    > criticism. I just think this is quite important question for Gnome Office
    > being able to compete with OpenOffice, etc...)

    One of Abiword's chief virtues when compared with OpenOffice is that it
    doesn't contain the kitchen sink, everything in the garage, and some junk
    from the neighbor's garage too. I'm exaggerating more than slightly for
    effect here, but TBF the only reason I'm interested in AbiWord is precisely
    that it's smaller than OpenOffice. OpenOffice already works just fine if you
    don't mind its footprint and the difficulty of working on it.

    I've contributed very little code to the cause either (just some i18n
    additions for libwpd2), so I'm not trying to weigh in with a vote here
    either, but I thought another perspective might be helpful.