Re: Should we force GNOME dependency?

From: Dom Lachowicz (domlachowicz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jun 23 2003 - 14:18:01 EDT

    This is something that I have advocated in the past
    and it's been shot down by too large a majority of
    both our users and developers. Much as I'd love to
    give you the green-light, it's not realistically
    within my power, even as I'm the maintainer of this
    project. Why? I simply can't afford to alienate such a
    large group of our users and developers.

    You can depend on GConf stuff in the Gnome build. I
    highly recommend you write some virtual functions or
    functions that get implemented differently depending
    on whether HAVE_GNOME is set or not.

    eg:

    bool getCanCursorBlink() {
    #ifdef HAVE_GNOME
      return GConf_Get_Boolean(CAN_CUSOR_BLINK);
    #else
      return AbiWord_Preferences->getCanCursorBlink();
    #endif
    }

    It's still entirely possible to integrate well with
    the underlying desktop using this type of programming.
    It's just a little trickier to do so.

    Dom